i ran into bathroom at gym and used bathroom realizing my hand was covered in blood from someone else on door handle. what test do i need done for disease? someone was bleeding and didn't clean off surface? is hiv or hepatitis a concern, cdc says it

2 doctor answers
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
56 years experience Allergy and Immunology
No problem if: You have intact skin and wash out the blood . One needs to understand the chances for the blood with HIV or hep are likely low. I am more concerned about the membership of the gym since I don't understand how blood can get on the door handle and why the guilty person won't bother with cleaning it.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience Infectious Disease
Little or no risk: Dr. Chiu's answer was correct. In theory there might be a small risk of blood borne infections if you had an open cut on your hand, or if you contaminated your eyes with wet blood. But any risk is exceedingly small. For practical purposes, nobody catches blood borne infections from environmental contamination like this.
Answered on Feb 6, 2017
1