Kingsford, MI

I had thyroid surgery 6 years ago and i seem to be developing a very raspy voice, i could it be related to my surgery? i am very prone to scar tissue.

Dr. William Culviner
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 30 years experience
Hoarseness: It is fairly doubtful that it would be related to the thyroid surgery, as you should have developed voice symptoms early after the surgery, not delayed. Scar tissue would not typically change your voice. There may be other reasons for the raspiness like allergies, postnasal drip or laryngopharyngeal reflux. See an ENT for fiberoptic laryngeal exam.

Last updated Oct 15, 2016