U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old female asked:

I suffer from hypochondria and i really need help since it causes me a lot of stress and anxiety. how can i treat it?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Layne Hermansen
Specializes in Family Medicine
Counseling + SSRI: SSRI is a common type of antidepressant / antianxiety medication like Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft (sertraline). Medication plus counseling to develop skill sets can help you. Find a counselor who can teach you EMDR skills. Research EMDR techniques.
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Clinical Psychology 24 years experience
Evidence Based: Hi Mimoza, this center is in the US, but provides a lot of information about various treatment approaches for hypochondria; http://ocdla.com/hypochondriasis. The strongest evidence based treatment right now is CBT, particularly ERP (see article), but you may find other approaches provide relief as well. The most important thing is to find a competent therapist you trust. Hope this is helpful. Best

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 6, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.