A member asked:

What is this hard, rubber-y lump under my skin? is this a sign of a tumor?

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Michio Abe answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Without actually examining it and possibly getting a biopsy, it's impossible to say what you have. Based on your description of a rubbery lump under your skin, my guess would be either lipoma or some cyst like epidermal inclusion cyst. Those are benign. But you may have a rare soft tissue sarcoma, which can be dangerous. You should have it checked.

Answered Oct 4, 2015



Still have questions?

Get the best care from a doctor who knows you.

Book a Video Appointment
Sponsor Content
Dr. James Huang answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

There are many causes of "hard, rubber-y lumpy dumpy lump" under the skin. It depends on location and appearance. It could be a lymph node, lipoma (fat collection), hematoma, foreign body, neuroma, scrofula, or other causes. See your physician. They will run tests and may obtain a biopsy to determine what it is. If it is near a tendon, fast growing, and impairs function, surgery is indicated.

Answered Feb 19, 2016


Dr. Travis Kidner answered

Specializes in Surgical Oncology

Cancer would not be the first thing that i would think of. Most likely this is a cyst or a benign fatty tumor called a lipoma. You should however bring it to the attention of your friendly primary care physician.

Answered Apr 21, 2013



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor