Bayonne, NJ

had a mammogram come back br-aid 1 negative but have heterogenous breast dense why is my dr sending me for a ultrasound im worried?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
Two tests better tha: Dense breasts are not adequately examined with Mammography alone, so it is common to add an Ultrasound exam to it so that the 2 tests can better visualize your breast and not miss any small tumor or mass. No reason to worry...it is a commonly done procedure and done for a good reason. This will give you more peace of mind, than an incomplete examination( if you did one test only)
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 33 years experience
"Dense breasts": are normal, but the density decreases the sensitivity of mammography to detect cancer, sometimes by as much as 50% or more. Since the mammo is less useful in the setting of dense breasts, many advocate additional screening with ultrasound to find cancers that might be obscured on mammograms.This is particularly common in states with dense breast notification laws, such as NY, where I practice.