AU

I have psychotic depression and no medication is helping me. i need ketamine but doctors are not prescribing in australia. can i visit usa to get it?

Dr. Ashesh Patel
Yes, but why?: Yes, you can come to USA for treatment. You will probably be able to find a doctor or nurse practitioner that will prescribe you whatever you want. But, is that the best option? You should continue to see the doctors that know you best and continue to get treatment through them. Sometimes, it is very difficult to treat certain conditions but doctor shopping is not the best way to seek help.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Richard Zimon
Ketamine: use in your case (accepting your Diagnosis) would be "off label" that it EXPERIMENTAL and you would have to find a psychiatrist or psycho-pharmacologist in advance who is knowledgeable about this drug and its off-label use (It is considered an ANESTHETIC in the US! Home this helps!
Neurology 53 years experience
Might be worth it: We have lots of pain specialists here, and ketamine is available in multiple preparations, and some of my colleagues are using it in research projects. Welcome to the USA
Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Not Rx of Choice: Ketamine is not the treatment of choice for psychotic depression. . There may be some experimental studies using Ketamine but you should be treated by the usual medications as well as considering combining with psychotherapy Sometimes hospitalization is needed for more intensive treatment
Last updated May 30, 2017