MA

i have very mild anemia. is there a blood test to determine what caused my anemia? is there an iron deficiency test to determine if i have iron def.?

Pathology 49 years experience
Blood test: Serum iron and ferritin levels provide a good indication of iron stores in the body. A simple blood count, if it shows small red cells is usually an indication of iron deficiency. Menstruating women are at risk of iron deficiency duet to loss of red blood cells in the menstrual discharge. You may take oral iron supplement with multivitamins.
Dr. Shaban Faruqui
Specializes in Gastroenterology
See HEM/GI: Low intake of iron can happen because of blood loss, consuming less than the recommended daily amount of iron, and medical conditions that make it hard for your body to absorb iron from the gastrointestinal tract. Iron, Transfrin sat, Ferritin & CBC are important test for Dx.Work up -- FOBT,Upper & Lower Endoscopy of GI Tract to find etiology recommend. Get an appointment with Hematology /GI