GA

can i give my one year old 2.5mg/3ml albruterol sulfate?

Dr. Susan Rhoads
Check with doc!: Do not give any prescription medication to your child that has not been prescribed by his/her doc! Please call the doc and check. If your child is having trouble breathing and you cannot reach the doc, get evaluated at an ER or UC now.
Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
Dose of albuterol is based on body weight which you do not mention. The usual dose is 0.1-0.2 mg/kg q8h. If your child weighs 22 pounds or 10 kg that would be 1 to 2 mg per dose every 8 hrs. Liquid albuterol comes as 0.4 mg/ml. Therefore you would begin him at 2.5 ml = 1 mg of albuterol every 8 hrs and see response. You can adjust upward to5.0 ml/ dose if need be. Voilà!
May 30, 2016
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Provided original answer
Dr. Gprdon is correct about dosages, but still check with the child's doc first, if it has not been prescribed for her. Do not assume that albuterol is the proper treatment! Young children do not present with typical "wheezing", and it is crucial that the proper diagnosis is made. True wheezing, if heard, may be due to an inhaled foreign object. Have your kid checked!
May 31, 2016