NC

is amitriptyline a benzo?

Dr. Kathy Robinson
No: Amitriptylene is a tricyclic antidepressant, not a benzodiazapine.

If I took 20mg of amitriptyline by mistake when my regular dose is 10mg, will I be ok?

Dr. Carolyn Quist
Gynecology 35 years experience
Yes: The maximum dose is much higher that 20 mg. The most common side effect of amitryptilline is drowsiness so taking a higher dose will most likely help you sleep. Some people dont notice any significant change with that small a dose.
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely commented
General Practice 31 years experience
The USUAL Maxium dose of Amitriptyline is150mg/day, but 300mg/day has been used. So , 20 mg is still a 'tiny dose'=NO WORRIES
Feb 20, 2012
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
General Practice 18 years experience
Good answer. Wishing you'all the best.
Feb 20, 2012
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Very small dose, so I would expect no problems and possibly no noticeable difference.
Feb 21, 2012

How long do you have to use amitriptyline for it to start working?

Dr. Susan Uhrich
That deprnds: On why you are using it. As an antidepressant, at the right dose, 3-4 weeks. If used for sleep, potentially the first dose. If used to reduce pain, some relief should be noticed in about a week.

Which types of arrhythmias does amitriptyline cause?

Dr. Samir Dabbous
Cardiology 45 years experience
Svt: Atrial arrhythmia.

My elavil (amitriptyline) is starting to work on me I want to eat all the time! will this side effect lessen with time?

Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Nephrology and Dialysis 46 years experience
Probably not: This is an expected effect of the medication. You need to increase your level of physical activity to compensate for the increased caloric intake. If it is working it should give you more energy and motivation to do so!

Gained 20 pounds on elavil (amitriptyline). What to do?

Dr. Alfred Forrester
D/C it, or diet: Elavil (amitriptyline) often causes wt gain. If it could be replaced with another antidepressant, then have your md d/c it and replace it - but you'll still need to do some exercise to help lose the wt. If you can't d/c the elavil, (amitriptyline) then you have to be aggressive about wt management: watching caloric intake and doing vigorous exercise. In worst cases, sometimes an appetite suppressant is used too.