Fort Worth, TX

I have panic disorder, and take valium (8mg/day) and lexapro (escitalopram) (20mg/day). i drink coffee every morning. seems to add to anxiety. best to give it up?

Dr. Krishna Kumar
Panic Disorder: I understand your need to have relief from Panic Disorder Using Valium with Lexapro (escitalopram) may increase dizziness, confusion, impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. Caffeine can increase Anxiety. Consider-Therapy, Breathing and Music Relaxation, Meditation, Yoga and Visual Imagery of National Parks See Psychiatrist for Diagnosis, Medication interaction and decreasing the dose
Dr. Pacita David
Yes: Many patients who are highly anxious are very sensitive to coffee and products which have caffeine. In those cases it is usually recommended to minimize or even better, totally eliminate such products from your diet. There are also non-medication interventions that can be of benefit, such as meditation, mindfulness, progressive muscle relaxation, and yoga. Hope this is helpful. All the best.
Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Worth a try: Caffeine can contribute to anxiety and nervousness. Frequently in treating a panic disorder , the patient and the doctor may do a trial of various types of medications as well as different dosage and meds that last longer or shorter than others. Sometimes various types of psychotherapy may also be useful.
Last updated Jan 12, 2017