Can you tell me if a person is recieving dialysis and decieded to stop treatment.How long would they live?

Dr. Fred McCurdy
44 years experience in Pediatric Nephrology and Dialysis
Dialysis: Usually not very long. Water accumulates and that makes breathing more difficult. Urea accumulates and that makes the person sleepy and eventually unarousable. Blood salts get all messed up and that can cause the heart to stop suddenly. This is just for starters. The longest I have seen a patient live after stopping dialysis is 1 week, but I am sure there are reports of people going longer.
Answered on Aug 19, 2017