New York, NY

can you have palpitations that are not seen on an ekg or hospital ultrasound? doctor said he didn't see any hard heart beating or fast, skipped, irregular beating. could it be vagus nerve or esophagus from uncontrolled gerd?

Dr. Ira Friedlander
Cardiac Electrophysiology 42 years experience
People feel many: different things in their chests and think they are coming from their heart. If you had symptoms and no evidence on EKG for any abnormality then it is not from your heart. It could be from your GI, Pulmonary, nervous or Musculoskeletal systems. Not the vagus, possibility from the esophagus.
Dr. Simon Grinshteyn
Yes you can: Palpitations are a subjective feeling. In other words, sometimes you may have palpitations and nothing is picked up on the EKG because you're not having an actual physical cardiac event. It is not uncommon to have these feelings in times of stress, taking medication or even in times of discomfort. If you have been worked up by the doctor and still persists, a holter-monitoe may be in order.
Dr. Mathew Chengot
Cardiology 43 years experience
Get a monitor: 2-3 week event recorder monitor will be of much help to decide arythmia
Dr. Simon Grinshteyn
While my colleague is absolutely correct an event recorder would offer a much clearer view for any "hidden" arrhythmia, insurances are much more apt to pay for a holter monitor as a first line (provided your symptoms don't include stroke, fairing, seizures, etc)
Mar 26, 2016