Should i have potassium iodide at home in my emergency kit in case of a radiation leak or attack?

Pathology 49 years experience
You may: Potassium iodide will protect only the thyroid from radio active iodine in the fall out. If my concern were a nuclear attack, thyroid would not be in the top of the list of my worries.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna commented
I agree with you.The question is theoretical for Radiation Attack but exposure is possible if you work around radioactive material,or a nuclear plant accident as happened in Chernobyl or accidental release from medical or industrial devise.CDC has guoidelines for all those after blood test and Geiger counter.But not Pottasium Iodide.which will only prevent radioactivity in Thyroid as you stated
Jan 12, 2016
Dr. Yash Khanna
Why?: Why are you worried about Radiation Leak or Attack.And what will Pottasium Iodide do for it.You seem to have fear of unknown and have to enjoy your life without worrying about Radiation Leak or Nuclear Attack.Pottasium Iodide will only protect the Thyroid Gland. Enjoy your life without worrying about Radiation which is not going to happen.Unless you work with Radioactive Materials or NuclearPower
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwataanswered
Ophthalmology 26 years experience
See integrative Dr. : KI tablets are helpful if you're trying to remove toxic metal overload in tissues by the sodium-iodide pump. Also, if you have adequate stores of iodine/iodide in your body, then if ever exposed to radioactive iodide from any form of radiation exposure, ur body will absorb much less than others. So no need to see a therapist. Better to see an integrative medicine Dr. instead for baseline testing.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna commented
Pottasium Iodide offers no protection from direct radiation exposure or other airborne radioactive particles..It will only prevent radioactive iodine from concentrating in thyroid gland.Pottasium Iodide in emergency kit will not protective against radiation particles exposure. Prussian Blue will bind to the radioactive elements like cesium&thallium&will speed up elimination of radioactive particle
Jan 12, 2016
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Yes: It is not expensive and remains stable for an indefinite time. In case of radiation leak, a dose of it protects the thyroid. This is the most important concern, especially for children. Not likely you will ever need it, but it could become scarce in case of a nuclear emergency.