Silver Spring, MD

i have meibomian gland dysfunction and dry eye which makes my vision very blurry even if i use warm compresses & artificial tears any other trearment?

Dr. Daniel Schainholz
Ophthalmology 34 years experience
Intraductal probing: Dry eye can be quantitative (deficiency of tear production) or qualitative (deficiency of the oily layer, and less commonly the mucin layer). Meibomian gland disease exacerbates dry eye syndrome by disturbing the surfactant properties of the oily layer. Intraductal probing opens up the meibomian gland orifices. Punctal plugging can help preserve the tears you do make, and Restasis might help.
Dr. Kristina Behringer
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Sometimes the addition of omega 3 fatty acids can help this as well. Ask your ophthalmologist to advise you on an appropriate dose.
Dec 29, 2015
Dr. Mark Weisbrod
Ophthalmology 18 years experience
BabyShampooLidscrubs: This syndrome is one of the most common causes of blurry vision in the USA. The easiest and least expensive solution to this is to suds baby shampoo in a warm wet washcloth, then close your eyes and gently scrub your eyelash line, then rinse. Do this 1-2 times per day until symptoms improve, then can do 1-2 times per week to keep you eyelids healthy and free from oily protein buildup.
Dr. Daniel Schainholz
Ophthalmology 34 years experience
Agreed. Also, lid/lash hygiene is more easily accomplished in a bathtub (immersion of the head underwater) versus the shower. Oily protein? I always heard it was waxy esters. Be careful about using shampoo with perfumes. My preference is Dr. Bronner's Unscented Pure Castille Soap. YMMV.
Jan 6, 2016