How does one accept mortality. i have had counselling, doesn't help. i don't believe in any religions. i feel i have a greater awareness of death.

29 doctors weighed in across 9 answers
Dr. Krishna Kumar answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Depression: Thank you for informing about Back pain and using Celexa (citalopram). Your greater awareness of death could be due to deaths of loved ones, major illness in loved ones, your back pain or depression. Go to Sequoia National Park ,FEEL WONDER of 2000 year old trees. Believe in Life Force due to which you have been alive and functioning for 33 years. See psychiatrist for Therapy; Celexa (citalopram), other Medications.

Answered 9/8/2016

1.8k views

Dr. Bernard Seif answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Meaning in life: If the things we do and people we relate to bring meaning to life then we cope better w/life & death issues. If your life lacks meaning consider thinking about or consulting w/someone about what you can do to gain meaning. Death is the ultimate loss of control and just about everyone struggles w/the concept. When people are dying, their thoughts tend to turn to relationships . Peace & health.

Answered 9/27/2017

1.8k views

Dr. Randy Baker answered

Specializes in Holistic Medicine

Explore the research: No one knows for sure what happens after we die but there is a great deal of objective evidence that some aspect of our being survives. One does not have to believe in religion to accept this. Some good books on this subject include Death Is of Vital Importance by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, Life After Life by Raymond Moody and Life Before Life by Jim Tucker. Also see http://tinyurl.com/ppoasky

Answered 9/27/2017

1.8k views

Dr. Andrew Berry answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Mortality: I wonder if you are suffering from a life-threatening disease? I guess I am wondering where the question comes from, and your particular case. In any event, there is no single answer for this question. One size does not fit all.and everybody has to arrive at their own meaning of life, as well as death.

Answered 9/27/2017

1.8k views

Dr. Ed Friedlander answered

Specializes in Pathology

Seek meaning: Many of my friends who are not believers in any traditional faith or in personal immortality have a formulation of spirituality something like this: Since there is no God and no afterlife, it is all the more important that we be kind to whoever we meet on our walk through life, and use reason and love to build a better world. It's a courageous approach to life, braver than most others'. Best wishs

Answered 6/7/2017

1.2k views

Dr. Michelle King answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Existential angst: I would recommend the secular therapist project in your state where no religious dogma will be injected into the therapeutic endeavor, if this is distressing enough for you to seek further treatment on the subject. Good luck! https://www.seculartherapy.org/

Answered 6/7/2017

1.2k views

Dr. Lois A Freisleben-Cook answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Your subconscious: The knowledge present in your subconscious mind is infinite and dates to well before the evolution of the human form. Exploring this vast resource accomplishes many wonderful things, the least of which is the knowledge that takes away all fear of death as we know it. There is a wonderful course that takes you to and deep into this most thrilling part of your brain and provides tools with which you can chart your own journey for all of your years to come. It is the Life Enhancement Program by Dr. Tim Hall, available at http://www.drtimhall.com/store/p12/Complete_Life_Enhancement_Program_™.html Dr. Hall has just moved from Canada to the US and will assist anyone taking this course through in person or Skype sessions. This is what I learned from his course: “During my first weeks listening to Dr. Hall’s Life Enhancement Program, I found myself replaying each segment many times over as there was such an abundance of wisdom and reassurance in each sentence that I did not want to miss a single thought. Although self hypnosis was initially frightening to me, I found Dr. Hall to have such a loving and reassuring manner that I relaxed into the exercises, diving into a previously "unknown" part of myself, secure in the knowledge that he would take me there and bring me back safely and gently. I remember, years before, feeling safe, secure, and happy listening to Joseph Campbell lead me toward new and exciting frontiers of thought. The experience of taking this path with Dr. Hall has been orders of magnitude beyond that or anything else I had ever attempted. Now, over a year into this most extraordinary journey, I can say with absolute certainty that I will use the tools I have received for the rest of my life as I go deeper and deeper into a most profound place, one of infinite knowledge, abundant insight and inexpressible joy. The benefits have been priceless. I have discovered my deep true self and know the immense joy of self-acceptance, self love, and the palpable presence of the divine within me and within everyone else. I have unlimited faith in the path I am on and have found in myself a life passion and purpose, a burning desire to share what I have learned with everyone, to work toward the benefit of all of humanity. The Life enhancement program is not one that I will ever “finish”. It is a doorway into the universe and beyond, to the highest - within and without, the most abundant source of insight and knowledge, well beyond anything one could imagine. I no longer know anxiety, uncertainty, fear, or sadness. When I have questions, I simply use the tools Dr. Hall has provided and cast my questions into the place where all are answered. I now go through my days with a gentle, loving confidence that is felt by all who are with me. I experience the flow of my happiness through others and beyond, contributing positive energy to the entire universe. I feel a loving connection to all of humanity and certain knowledge that we are all part of something very beautiful and enduring, infinitely so. Perhaps most precious to me, I feel God’s presence and love as surely as I feel the air around me and I enjoy every moment of every day. I notice things I would have just passed by a year ago. I observe with awe the myriad tiny miracles that surround us all. I experience countless moments of gratitude and boundless joy. And I have learned that life is an incredible miracle that will never end. “

Answered 8/29/2016

1.2k views

Dr. Sherry Broadwell answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Mortality: Your life, every life, is a miracle happening; to be afraid of death only leads to avoidance of life. Your awareness is a gift that can help you not take anything for granted, to make every moment of your life as meaningful and purposeful as possible. To accept mortality is not a surrender to the inevitable, but an invitation to make the moments you have count. Love fully, live fully. Best.

Answered 8/16/2017

972 views

Dr. Richard Roberts answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

You are obsessing.: You appear distressed from obsessing over death. You are suffering just as one who fears leaving the house. People with terminal illnesses may cope well, or cope horribly, regardless of creed or belief. I believe your problem is psychological, and rational behavior therapy, or a similar therapy, may work well for you, as it does for those suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder or phobias.

Answered 3/16/2017

882 views