U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 19-year-old male asked:

I have a pain above my right hip, in a place where it feels like a muscle above my hip. and it hurts when i touchit or tense, feels like a bruise pain?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Louise Andrew
A Verified Doctoranswered
Emergency Medicine 47 years experience
Exercise or sport?: This sounds like a pulled muscle, tendon, or ligament. Occasionally a tiny piece of bone can be displaced with certain activities with very strong hip and leg muscles. You should first apply warm compresses or heating pad and take Tylenol (acetaminophen) or very low dose NSAID; you can apply Arnica gel or cream and of course avoid any motion or activity that increases pain. See a doc if not better in 3 days.
Dr. John Goldman
Rheumatology 56 years experience
May be trochanteric: This may be trochanteric bursitis. Ask your physician? It is treated with Physical therspy, exercise, heat or cold applications, injections etc

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 12, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.