U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old female asked:

Im 33 years old female i have very high rbc in urine (50-150mm3). i had ct scan and all seems normal.could it be from vaginal discharge as i breastfed?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Brian Clear
A Verified Doctoranswered
Family Medicine 14 years experience
Sometimes: Breastfeeding would be unrelated, but yes, in women who are on their period or spotting a urinalysis can show blood that is not really coming from the bladder. A doctor may perform a catheter urine collection to eliminate the chance of contamination from vaginal blood/discharge. If the blood really is from the bladder and with no recent UTI, further testing may be needed, i.e. cystoscopy
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 29, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.