Saudi Arabia

I have recently been diagnosed with ms. i have been on gilenya (fingolimod) for 8 months. i have tingling in my legs and my left ankle hurts when i walk too much. it has been like this for 8 months. will it ever go away ?

Dr. Yasmin Pirani
Wax and wane: The difficult part of dealing with MS is that it has variable courses. Some wax and wane quickly and progressively, while others barely notice they are ill. To help you, I think we should focus on what makes the nerve pain better for you, whether its a hot bath, or gabapentin. I would suggest going to see a DO regarding naturopathic herbal support as well. It's frustrating-best to act holistly.
Neurology 52 years experience
Prognosis is good: First, am pleased to see that your neurologist has acted pre-emptively, and has used a potent and effective medication. Would advise you to also take Vit D supplements. The left ankle pain is likely within joint and maybe secondary to prior weakness, but could be caused by small fracture and needs X-ray. Physical therapy can provide a path to improvement. Work closely with your neurologist.

Last updated Jun 8, 2017