ND
A member asked about a 4-year-old female:

my daughter has been on an antibiotic for 9 days now and a rash appeared over night it looks like chicken pox but she has been immunized them?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Mgt: It is still possible to have chickenpox even with the vaccination. I would suggest avoiding all products with aspirin, and seeing your PCP soon. If she has a moderate to severe cough and a varicella rash, I would also suggest a chest radiograph.
2 issues: First, chickenpox has a blister like rash & I assume this is what you are describing.If it is just bumps, it could be an allergic rash from the abx.Second,15% of those given the varicella vaccine are not protected by the first dose,declining to 5% after 2 doses. It sounds like your doc needs to see the rash and confirm what is going on.If she has wild chickenpox she doesn't need the 2nd dose.

Last updated Apr 23, 2016