Ravenna, OH

I was told today that i have staph in my urine. i have had mrsa in the past and have tested positive for it. could this be related to it?

Pathology 50 years experience
May not be UTI: The staph in your urine does not necessarily mean that you have urinary tract infection. Staph, including MRSA often colonize the skin in the groin and the bacteria in your urine may have been contaminants from that. You need to address the results of urine examination with your doctor to ascertain if you have urinary infection. There are ways to reduce/eliminate the colonization also. for info: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/Surveillance/MRSA/
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Susan Madonna
Maybe: While it is possible that the MRSA you had before is still colonized in your nose or other body parts, it may or may not need treatment. If you have a history of urinary tract abnormalities, you may need treatment. Most urinary staph is just skin contaminant in the sample.