U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old female asked:

I swallowed a chip and scratched esophagus. i've been having a sensation like a lump in my throat and asthma symptoms. what type of doc should i see?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Charles Jarowski
Hematology and Oncology 50 years experience
Throat symptoms: If the esophagus is burned or scratched by food the symptoms usually resolve on their own. Maybe you also scratched your throat causing the "lump" symptoms. If you are short of breath and wheezing you should see a respiratory physician (pulmonologist) or just a good general practitioner.
Dr. David Lipkin
Internal Medicine 53 years experience
Consult PCP: The sensation of a lump in the throat should resolve on its own. Asthma symptoms would not result from scratching the esophagus. Consult your primary care physician for advice if having ongoing problems.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 58 years experience
See ENT: If there is something related to your throat, you need to get examined by an ENT doctor to find out the cause. Upper airway obstruction may cause shortness of breath , coughing, or wheezing when breathing in - often mistaken for asthma. Your ENT doctor should be able to guide you as to whether referral to another specialist may be warranted.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 14, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.