i swallowed a chip and scratched esophagus. i've been having a sensation like a lump in my throat and asthma symptoms. what type of doc should i see?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Charles Jarowski
48 years experience Hematology and Oncology
Throat symptoms: If the esophagus is burned or scratched by food the symptoms usually resolve on their own. Maybe you also scratched your throat causing the "lump" symptoms. If you are short of breath and wheezing you should see a respiratory physician (pulmonologist) or just a good general practitioner.
Answered on Sep 4, 2020
Dr. David Lipkin
Consult PCP: The sensation of a lump in the throat should resolve on its own. Asthma symptoms would not result from scratching the esophagus. Consult your primary care physician for advice if having ongoing problems.
Answered on Nov 3, 2015
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
56 years experience Allergy and Immunology
See ENT: If there is something related to your throat, you need to get examined by an ENT doctor to find out the cause. Upper airway obstruction may cause shortness of breath , coughing, or wheezing when breathing in - often mistaken for asthma. Your ENT doctor should be able to guide you as to whether referral to another specialist may be warranted.
Answered on Nov 3, 2015