Santa Clara, CA

I have a tender spot and lump on the side of my neck the size of a dime. not visible on skin. i was sick last week. should i be worried? is it an inflamed lymph node?

Dr. James Okamoto
No. Probably.: In answer to your questions, 1) do not worry, that only makes the situation worse and is bad for your health! 2) Probably is an inflamed lymph node if you had an infection that coincides with it. Once you have recovered from your infection the lymph node should become painless and slowly shrink till you can no longer feel it. If it doesn't go away, I would see your Dr to have it examined.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Aaron Roland
Lymph node: A smallish tender swelling in the neck is most likely a lymph node. If the pain is not too great it makes sense to wait a few days to a week or two to see if this goes away, or at least becomes non-tender and smaller, before running to a doctor.
Last updated Nov 11, 2015