Can i use lidocaine on a scar from a deep cut through my glute muscle? lidocaine definitely helps with how it feels on the top, which is great. my questions is- is it dangerous to use?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Matt Wachsman answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Not a bit: lidocaine is cleared so fast we need a rapid continuous IV to keep enough in. OR... it goes through the surface, works and by the time it gets into the blood it's pretty well diluted and gone.

Answered 10/30/2015

2.1k views

Dr. Thomas Mcgowan answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Cut: if scar is closed and not an open wound it is fine to use lidocaine. They come as patches called lododerm that can be used for nerve pain.

Answered 10/30/2015

2.1k views

Dr. Vivek Iyer answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Open or closed wound: Local anesthetic gel/creams in an open wound could inhibit healing. A limited duration of this cream on a healed scar is not harmful. The question is why is it painful for so long? Ideally medication by mouth is safer than creams for pain over a wound.

Answered 1/17/2016

1.8k views