NY

my toenail is falling off from a trama a few months ago but there is a new one about halfway grown behind/underneath it. is it safe to paint it?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 33 years experience
Yes,: it is safe.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Yes: no issue….but the one falling off, I would trim short so it doesn't accidentally get pulled off..
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
You Decide...: I'm not sure just what you mean by safe, but, I can offer you this. Recently traumatized nails are more susceptible to developing fungal infections. Applying nail polish, and the subsequent use of polish removers, may put your new toenail at an increased risk of developing a nail fungus and all the issues of the involved treatment. Go figure.