FL

i have 2 small sized healing caps above dental implants via periodontist. at 3 months, who cuts and trims the gum for abutment? general dds??

Dr. Meng Syn
Dr. Meng Synanswered
Dentistry 38 years experience
The periodontist: The healing cuffs must be fully healed and exposed prior to removing them to take impressions. They are replaced after the impression and removed several weeks later when the implant abutment is torqued into place and the crown is cemented to the abutment .
Dr. Joseph Wineman
Dentistry 40 years experience
Healing caps: If the healing caps are subgingival-then the surgeon will usually do the uncovering, he will place healing abutments for a few weeks-allowing the gum tissue to form the proper collar for the permanent abutment. After 2-4 weeks, the general dentist can then do a fixture level impression for the lab to make the custom abutment and crown
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry 30 years experience
Surgeon, Usually: Usually, the person who placed the implants will "uncover" them and get them ready for your new "teeth." In this case, your periodontist. The only time I have seen the general dentist (the person who will make the "teeth") do this step is when the surgeon is far away in another town or city. In that case, the general dentist can also do it, if he/she is comfortable and trained in this procedure.