I had surgery with general anesthesia 1 week ago. i woke up with sore throat & sometimes i could feel my uvula. now, there is white tip and redness.

Dr. Rifat Naghmi
Pharyngitis: Pharyngitis is an infection of the pharynx or tonsils . The cause is usually infectious, with most cases being of viral origin and most bacterial cases attributable to group A streptococci. It is difficult to distinguish viral and bacterial causes of pharyngitis on the basis of signs and symptoms alone. Doctor does strep test to diagnose strep throat. Viral pharyngitis does not need antibiotics
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Preventive Medicine 42 years experience
Intubation done for: general anesthesia with an endotracheal tube placement to connect your lungs to a ventilator machine to breath for you while anesthetized can easily result in pharynx trauma=sore throat, depending on how placed & skill of anesthesiologist (should have told you about this before & in writing after). The "white tip & redness" is c/w pharyngeal cellulitis (red) & a small abscess (white).
Last updated May 12, 2018