U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 23-year-old male asked:

I have had a skin abcess, on the back of my neck for about a year. it goes and comes back. what can i do? i've been to the doctors aswell.

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Wales
Emergency Medicine 43 years experience
Surgical removal : Sounds like a sebaceous cyst that gets infected. Contact a general surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist to have it electively removed under local anesthesia in the doctors office.
Dr. Emily Altman
Dermatology 29 years experience
Abscess on neck: A recurrent abscess in one location on the skin is most likely a cyst that keeps getting inflamed over and over again. The only way to remove a cyst is to excise it. It is also important not to squeeze the inflamed cyst as squeezing will promote scarring and the cyst will get larger and more difficult to remove. When the cyst is inflamed, injections of cortisone may help shrink it.
Dr. Myra Skluth
Internal Medicine 36 years experience
See a surgeon: You may need to have such an abscess surgically incised and drained. There may be a cyst which keeps filling up with sebum and pus. The sac of the cyst probably needs to be removed.
Last updated Dec 8, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.