New York, NY

I've been taling 1000mg for 2 days now. can i take valtrex (valacyclovir) 2000mg twice a day for one day to bring the swelling down faster on my coldsores?

Dr. Rupesh Parikh
Medical Oncology 27 years experience
No: Not rec. It is more than the rec dose. Valtrex (valacyclovir) just make the outbreak last shooter by a day or two but won't help for acute symptoms.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 29 years experience
Overdoing medicine: The common human thought that "more is better' is not to be used when it comes to medications. The dose is the safe dose and over doing it can bring on side effects and unwanted problems. While valacyclovir is a safe medication it is not shown that over doing the dosing will help speed up healing.
Last updated Apr 6, 2013