my bloodtest returned, ast (sgot) = 307 alt (sgpt) = 767 these are 10-20 times the normal values. these values have been elevated for 20 days. does this mean i have permanent liver damage?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 48 years experience
Usually not!: But what is the cause for these increases. Many viral infections can temporarily do this. Medications, etc. But has the doctor you see narrowed the cause?
Dr. Marvin Den
Hepatitis: You have an inflamed liver.The reason may be several things including infection, drugs alcohol . See your doctor -you need further testing to determine the cause. Once determined, your question can be answered.
Dr. Erik Suh
Dr. Erik Suhanswered
Depends on the cause: It can be temporarily elevated if you drank too much alcohol and mixed it with tylenol (acetaminophen). I would suggest getting aanother level checked in a week to see if it is going down. Also do a hepatitis panel and u./s of the liver.