how much water should be drink in a day?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience Infectious Disease
Drink when thirsty: There is no particular amount of water needed by healthy persons, and no need to keep track of how much you drink. Drink water or other fluids as needed to satisfy your thirst. Otherwise forget it.
Answered on Feb 6, 2019
2
2 comments
2
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience Infectious Disease
Provided original answer
That's one guideline. Another is 2-3 L daily for average women and men, respectively, which is pretty close to that formula. My understanding is that these are close to what people drink naturally in temperate climates, so Dr. Mckinney and I are saying much the same thing. Except in special circumstances (e.g. physical activity, extreme heat), healthy people need not keep track of water intake.
Aug 17, 2015
Dr. David Mckinney
29 years experience Emergency Medicine
I was taught that daily water consumption should be your weight in pounds divided by 2 equals number of ounces of daily water.
Aug 17, 2015