U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
A 19-year-old female asked:

im underweight my bmi: 16, tried everything but cant gain kgs, don't hve any disease, can you tell me hw to gain weight?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 33 years experience
After seeing doctor,: If one is truly underweight (based on height, family background, and body type), a Dr. can evaluate for a hormonal, digestive, or other disorder. If no medical cause is found, then one can add weight by eating more calories of nutritious foods, while also doing weight-training to increase muscle. Proteins: egg white, chicken breast, salmon,... Better fats: olive oil, peanuts, almonds, tofu,....
Dr. Stephen Southard
Internal Medicine 15 years experience
Can be hard: To gain weight, just like for more individuals the opposite is true in regards to weight loss. Assuming your doctor has ruled any disease like thyroid or malabsorption issues, it will come down to a balancing act of consuming more calories than your burn(need more in than "out"). This can require strict monitoring of the caloric content of your food and activity levels.
Dr. Tipu Sultan
Dr. Tipu Sultan commented
Specializes in Allergy
Calories dense foods include complex carbs like grains beans potato sweet potato nuts if all kinds cashews almonds pecan walnuts etc oils and butter. Add these foods + add meats which are building blocks for muscles
Aug 26, 2015

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A member asked:

The inside of my knee hurts when I straighten it or put weight on it. It also pops a lot, why? And what may help?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Possible meniscus: You need to be seen by an orthopaedic surgeon to evaluate your knee for a possible meniscus tear. You need an exam and an mri. If torn, arthroscopic surgery can trim the tear and improve your symptoms quickly. This is a picture of your meniscus seen here. It is the shock absorber between the femur and the tibia cartilage surfaces. This one is normal.
A 29-year-old member asked:

What are effective weight-loss exercises for an 11-year-old boy?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Clinical Psychology 18 years experience
Moderate intensity: All children should be engaged in moderate to high intensity exercise for at least 1 hour of every day. Any exercise your 11 year old will participate in regularly is the best for him. Make sure it is something that keeps his heart rate going. While exercise promotes health and helps in weight loss, it is not enough without improved diet. Check out choosemyplate.Gov for nutritional guidance.
A 38-year-old member asked:

Can I exercise and lift weights if I am breastfeeding?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jennifer Frank
Family Medicine 22 years experience
Yes: Breastfeeding shouldn't inhibit you from exercising or lifting weights.
A 31-year-old member asked:

Do detox diets really work for weight loss?

1 doctor answer6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine 43 years experience
No: The only thing that works for weight loss in the long term is eating less and being more physically active. Making temporary changes and then going back to usual eating habits will result in gaining back the weight you lost. Check out this site to learn about fad diets: http://www.Eatright.Org/public/.
A member asked:

How can a pre diabetic person with BMI < 18 gain healthy weight? I have lost 5 lbs since diagnosis.

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Family Medicine 14 years experience
BMI is a guide...: And not necessarily an absolute measure of health. If you're doctor is saying you must gain weight because of your low bmi, then you should focus on eating lean, healthy proteins like fish, chicken and turkey, and doing some resistance exercise (weights, etc). If this is a big concern, i'd strongly recommend working with a nutritionist (along w. Your pcp)- they can be a big help.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Oct 31, 2015

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.