Dosage of bromfed (brompheniramine) for 14 lb infant? ped prescribed my 10 month old bromfed (brompheniramine) for her cough: dose is 1/2 tspn/4hrs. def not the right dose for her.

Dr. Scott Diede
30 years experience
Do not give.: There are many studies showing that over-the-counter cough medicines do not work for children, and in fact, many can cause side effects in some kids. In my opinion, these medicines do not work and do more harm. I hope you child feels better soon.
Dr. Joseph Bouvier
See below: Per fda recs, no otc meds for kids under 4 year old let alone under 1 year of age! and as per these meds for your infant, i can't understand why your doc would do this period! cough meds are not beneficial especially in and infant and can, in fact, cause problems like increase the risk of developing a pneumonia. I would stop the med immediately!
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Not recommended: Although sometimes used, cough and cold meds are seldom helpfull and can be dangerous in kids under 4 years of age. It would be much better to use nasal saline drops frequently and in sufficient amount to clear nose and more "natural" remedies for cough such as vapor rub. Remember cough is a protective mechanism to keep lungs clean of phlegm.
Last updated Jan 7, 2020