U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Binghamton, NY
A 23-year-old female asked:

I had a sprained achilles' tendon 6 years ago in high school and it sometimes flares up and swells making it uncomfortable to walk what can i do?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Christopher Wong
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Achilles tendonitis: RICE, rest ice compression elevation, but with it being 6 years ago likely a chronic injury, will be difficult to get better. Try some Physical therapy for 6 to 8 weeks with the RICE and if not better get MRI may have a partial tear. Go to ER if pain or acute weakness gets suddenly worse.
Last updated Jul 27, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.