I feel depressed and anxious all the time. i'm thinking of starting citalopram 10mg for 6 months. is the treatment advisable? (i'm a pharmacist)

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

See doctor: A professional hazard for many in the healthcare field is to self-medicate. While I'm sure you are knowledgeable and highly educated in pharmacology, please take meds for depression and anxiety under supervision of your pcp or an experienced psychiatrist. If you have seen a doctor who's recommended Celexa (citalopram) 10 mg, this med and dose is a reasonable starting point. I hope this is helpful. Take care.

Answered 4/5/2018

2.5k views

Need Examination: The decision to start or not start ANY medication for a medical condition is predicated on history, examination and appropriate diagnostic data. There could be conditions that if corrected (eg. thyroid, adrenal, etc.) can resolve symptoms of what appear to be depression thereby avoiding unnecessary medication or other treatments. That's what the doctor should do.

Answered 7/25/2015

2.5k views

As a pharmacist: you know all the medication issues with this medication. Do you have psychiatric training? Probably not. Go see a psychiatrist.

Answered 4/30/2016

2.5k views