U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New York, NY
A 26-year-old female asked:

26 f, microscopic hematuria detected inconsistently in urine tests. blood tests show kidney function is fine. should i be worried/see a urologist?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 25 years experience
Need work up: Start with pmd obviously- who is going to take a careful exam and repeat the urine test. You will need to get an imaging study- like ct scan to rule out certain things- like stone, mass/growth etc. Then depend on the result of the work-up- referral to urologist can be arranged by your primary doctor accordingly. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 50 years experience
Constant hematuria: If you have no urinary tract infection, you need go to a urologist to assess your urinary tract. You will need a renal ultrasound and probably an intravenous pyelogram to see if there are any problems with your kidneys. If these studies show no problem, you will need to have the urologist do a cystoscopy so your urinary bladder's wall can be visualized to see if you have any abnormalities there.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 6, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.