chest pain in the middle.?

Dr. James Morgan
History is 90% of it: What brings it on? What makes it better? What is it associated with? What is your family history? If it hurts more to push on a spot on the chest wall and you have had a cough or smoke it may be originating from muscle or joint strain. A visit and examination with your doctor can help determine what tests need to be done and which can be a lower priority.
Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Irv Lohanswered
Cardiology 49 years experience
Depends on factors: Chest discomfort behind the breastbone can be from many causes. For example, spontaneous, sharp, evanescent chest discomfort with breathing has different implications than effort chest pressure associated with other symptoms. Age and risk factors are important as well. Most prudent to get a formal evaluation to avoid minimizing what may be a more serious underlying cause.
Dr. Maritza Baez
Anything: Could be a problem with skin, nerves, muscle, shoulder, lung, heart, or stomach. See your doctor for a more thorough history, physical exam and further evaluation.
Dr.
Chest Pain -See Doc?: When to see a doctor? How do you know when you need medical help for chest pain? It's not always easy to tell. Helpful simple quiz: http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/help.at.home/chest.pain/content.html
Dr. John Szawaluk
Cardiology 31 years experience
Many things: From heart related issues to lung, gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal. See your doctor for an exam
Dr. Maritza Baez
See your doctor: Could be a problem with skin, nerves, muscle, shoulder, lung, heart, or stomach. See your doctor for a more thorough history, physical exam and further evaluation. If you sleep on your stomach you could have a neck strain that radiates pain to the chest or arm. Get checked out just to make sure.