I have beta-thalassemia and hcv. i was on interferon with ribavirin in 2008. it didn't work. now i want to try sovaldi. what are my chances it works?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Ed Friedlander answered

Specializes in Pathology

Worth the try: It's looking really good. I hope you are able to get it. The politics of availability are bizarre -- I feel the drug company needs to see a fair profit that will allow more work, and that the people whose taxes paid for the basic research aren't denied a great medicine. Keep reading the blogs and find out the best way for you to get access to the real stuff at reasonable cost.

Answered 7/9/2015

2.6k views

Dr. Andrew Seibert answered

Specializes in Gastroenterology

Above 90%: Sovaldi and the other recently released hepatitis C medicines have high response rates, regardless of previous IFN non-response status, with very few side effects. The exact rate mostly depends on your HCV genotype and how well you comply with therapy. You should see your liver doctor to discuss treatment. Good luck.

Answered 7/10/2015

2.6k views