India

i have beta-thalassemia and hcv. i was on interferon with ribavirin in 2008. it didn't work. now i want to try sovaldi. what are my chances it works?

Pathology 44 years experience
Worth the try: It's looking really good. I hope you are able to get it. The politics of availability are bizarre -- I feel the drug company needs to see a fair profit that will allow more work, and that the people whose taxes paid for the basic research aren't denied a great medicine. Keep reading the blogs and find out the best way for you to get access to the real stuff at reasonable cost.
Pathology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
Thanks for the follow-up. Congratulations on getting access to this wonderful new medication.
Jul 9, 2015
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 35 years experience
Above 90%: Sovaldi and the other recently released hepatitis C medicines have high response rates, regardless of previous IFN non-response status, with very few side effects. The exact rate mostly depends on your HCV genotype and how well you comply with therapy. You should see your liver doctor to discuss treatment. Good luck.

Last updated Jul 10, 2015