U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Kirkland, WA
A 39-year-old female asked about a 40-year-old female:

I have dacryocystitis in my eye that has turned into a abscess & a 2nd infection. er doc said it needs surgery & drainage what kind surgery is this?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Dacryocystorhinostom: The infection will be treated and drained and then a procedure will be done termed a dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR). This creates a new channel from the eyelids into the nose for tear outflow, bypasses the scar and will remove any residual infection. This is commonly done by oculoplastic surgeons although some ENT surgeons also do this.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 5, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.