AZ

Scab on face for 2 years, heals then opens & bleeds on a continuous cycle. had a biopsy and they said it wasn't skin cancer. help it's ugly and stings?

Dr. Franklyn Gergits
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 29 years experience
Facial Lesion: Greetings. I'm glad that the biopsy was negative for cancer. It was an incisional not an excisional biopsy. This means that your lesion was not completely removed. I would recommended seeking out a Moh's Dermatopathologic surgeon for complete removal. Once it is completely removed, a detailed path evaluation of the entire specimen will be performed and hopefully, it will finally heal.
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Non-healing lesion: Even though this is not cancerous I would consider removing the lesion. Discuss with your doctor or dermatologist. There is little reason to have such a lesion on your face, this could be some type of a tract or the opening to a cyst. Seek another opinion if you do not get satisfaction.
Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgical Oncology 64 years experience
Usually basal cell: By definition a lesion that ulcerates and later heals only to loose its scab, reulcerate and then heal again is the classic picture of basal cell Ca. It may be that the bx was inadequate and sampled the wrong area. One can try getting a script for Efudex (fluorouracil) which when applied daily x10 followed by A&D ointment x10 will result in complete healing. If lesion persists then excise.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Cancer: Cancer until proven otherwise. You need a second opinion from a Moh's Dermatopathologic surgeon. ASAP.

Last updated May 15, 2018