Pakistan

suffered a displaced phalanx fracture a month ago. now my doc says my toe is dry gangrene except for a tiny portion at the ventral side. can i recover?

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgical Oncology 64 years experience
Yes without toe: If Dr. is correct and fractured phalanx has lost blood supply then loss of toe will occur. In an extremity when blood supply is lost a vascular surgeon attempts vessel graft but this requires a large vessel even if graft employed. In the toe no vessel can be re established when lost and gangrene sets in. With wet gangrene surgery needed immediately. Dry gangrene if left will need amputation
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
I would respectfully state that it all depends on the circumstance. Collateral circulation can develope, the gangrenous tissue can either be debrided away or in time will slowly shrink. It depends on the size of the gangrenous patch and current blood flow.
Jul 4, 2015