U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 64-year-old female asked:

Had hip replacement surgery over 3 yrs ago and have pain down outise of thigh and "frayed piriformis and gluteus medias" - will it ever get better?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Steven Simon
A Verified Doctoranswered
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 40 years experience
See PT: your walking pattern has changed pre or post hip,surgery, and this most likely caused the problem. It will Improve with correction of the underlying problem. Piriformis exercises can be done to assist. Ask your doc to eval the hip and low back by X-rays and examination to confirm the diagnosis, and get referral to physical therapy to help resolve it.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 24, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.