I had a total thyroidectomy due to cancer. my lab shows low tsh but t4 and t3 (liothyronine) levels are normal indicating correct dosage why would my tsh be low?

Dr. Atul Singh
27 years experience in Nephrology and Dialysis
Low TSH: Low TSH should be respected and you may need adjustment of your medication. Seeing your Endocrinologist may be needed, and they can discuss if a dose change is needed. T3, (liothyronine) T4 don't always paint the full picture and have to looked in context of your symptoms, TSH.
Answered on May 13, 2016
2
2 comments
1
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo commented
32 years experience in Endocrinology
I respectfully disagree here. Your thyroid doctor may want your TSH to be a little low because of the thyroid cancer. Ask him/her where your TSH should be, and please don't let any other doctor change your dose without checking with your thyroid doctor.
Jun 20, 2015
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
50 years experience in Endocrinology
Agree
Jun 20, 2015