San Jose, CA

Disney crowds make me very nervous/panicky. dr rx'd me 0.5mg xanax (alprazolam). i took it. calmed me but made me sleepy & uninterested. any other recs?

Dr. Ishmeal Major
23 years experience
Xanax (alprazolam) dosing: Xanax is a good medication for managing acute or situational anxiety. It sounds like you experienced sedation, which is a common side effect. Try decreasing the dose by 1/2 or 1/4 tablet. If you continue to feel sleepy then consult with your Dr. to possibly try a different medication in this class or a less sedating class like Buspar (buspirone) or Atarax.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Elton Behner
Dentistry 39 years experience
Try working: with a therapist to identify what may be causing you to feel this way and help in developing skills to control it naturally vs. chemically.
Dr. Elton Behner
Dentistry 39 years experience
Provided original answer
Happy to be of service.
Jun 17, 2015
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology 21 years experience
Therapy options: If it is just related to Disney, you could reduce your time there, or you could try to go when it is not as crowded. If that is not an option, you could close your eyes and imagine yourself in a wide open space, or look at pictures of one, such as Yellowstone park. If it is really bothering you, and it prevents you from functioning, or going outside your home, then medicine tretament may be best
Last updated May 16, 2016