New York, NY

I was playing tennis and i ran into the fence stabbing myself in the stomach around the belly button really hard with the handle. what can happen?

Dr. David Lipkin
Generally speaking:: Blunt injury(skin not lacerated) to the abdomen can cause bleeding into the abdominal muscles(hematoma),which would be self limited.Injury to the fragile spleen is unlikely unless the blow was in the left upper abdomen near rib cage. Injury to internal organs is possible but less likely as the abdominal muscles protect them.If you are concerned you need to see a physician for an accurate diagnosis

Last updated Feb 13, 2019