Seeing as i take prilosec daily for my gerd(and now i never get acid reflux) this should prevent my gerd from ever developing to barretts esophagus?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Yes: Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, occurs frequently in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). The most common symptom of GERD is heartburn, which can be controlled by medication . In a few patients with GERD (10-15%), a change in the esophageal lining develops called Barrett’s esophagus which is believed to be a common cause of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. Controlling GERD important.

Answered 6/8/2015

2.7k views

Maybe: Barrett's esophagus is a complex issue. While reflux disease is thought to be the primary culprit, genetics also play a role. The minority of people with reflux develop Barrett's. There is some evidence however that even non-acid reflux can cause the problem as well. If you had Gerd for five years or more, get an upper endoscopy to be sure. Hope this helps!

Answered 6/8/2015

2.7k views