U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old female asked:

I've had folliculitis in the vaginal area for years now, what is the best treatment for the scarring and itch it has created?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Stop shaving?: If you have been shaving the area, stop. That may be the main problem, perhaps the only problem. If pubic area hair control remains important, consider a hair removal cream instead. If not shaving, other factors may be important -- for example, you may be carrying virulent staph or strep. If you haven't yet seen a dermatologist, consider it now. She or he should be able to sort this out. Good luck

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 30, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.