U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old female asked:

I have a bump under my skin in the genital area it kind of looks like a mosquito bite but is hard. it is about the size of a nickel and it does hurt?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Family Medicine 16 years experience
Ingrown hair?: It's possible it's an ingrown hair, especially if you shave down there at all, but even if you don't it could be. It could also theoretically be a small cyst. Both can be painful. I would suggest you have your doctor take a look at it for a more formal diagnosis and that way you'll be able to have a proper treatment plan to get rid of it. Best wishes to you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
General Practice 53 years experience
A folliculitis or a boil or an infected sebaceous cyst are among possibilities.
Jun 4, 2015
Last updated Jun 4, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.