U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

What can i do for pain in kidney area and shoulder blade?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeremy Gitomer
30 years experience
Depends on cause: Most pain in kidney area is musculoskeletal. If it hurts when you move or are in a certain position it is musculoskeletal. Kidney pain itself is usually crampy, unaffected by movement or activity. Shoulder pan could be musculoskeletal. If present on the right side after meals it may be related to gallbladder disease. In addition sometimes these pains are related to arthritis of the spine.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 30, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.