I have been diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia. adderal is not consistently effective. why? is there something else more effective?

10 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Jeffrey Junig answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Tolerance develops: Tolerance takes away much of the wakefulness produced by stimulants like adderall-- i.e. Amphetamine. Other meds used are Provigil or nuvigil; they are used with stimulants, or alone. They have some tolerance as well, that takes away a portion, not all, of their effect. Finally, xyrem, for, narcolepsy; improves deep sleep, reducing daytime sleepiness- in case you were misdiagnosed.

Answered 7/16/2018

6.1k views

Dr. Neil Liebowitz answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Sleep disorder: Did you actually have a sleep study to make the idiopathic diagnosis or was this just by history? Idiopathic, i was taught meant that the patient is pathic and the doc an idiot. I would recommend a further work-up including a new sleep study, assessment for anxiety, depression and medical causes of hypersomnia eg, anemia, auto-immune, internet addiction....

Answered 5/9/2016

6.1k views

Dr. Julia Frank answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Hypersomnia drugs: Two drugs on the market, Nuvigil and Provigil have been tested for this condition.

Answered 7/16/2018

6k views

Dr. Susan Uhrich answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Right for you: The most effectiveedicstion is the one that works for you. Every human is truly an individual. Talk with your doctor about how the Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) is working for you. We are here to help you.

Answered 7/16/2018

6k views