NJ

I have celiac disease and am about 20 pounds underweight. i am gluten and dairy free but remain severly thin. will my intestines heal at my age of 54?

Dr. Corey Clay
Allergy and Immunology 10 years experience
See below: For celiac disease, the intestines completely heal in the absence of gluten (95% of the time). In 5%, however, enteropathy is refractory to gluten avoidance and may be caused by underlying immune dysregulation (constitutive IL-15 production by epithelial cells for example). Other potential causes for difficulty in gaining weight should be considered too. To begin, an EGD needs to be repeated soon
Should: If you are truly gluten free & continue to have random IBSD episodes you may want further blood studies to look at cross reacting foods. The disorder is occasionally aggravated by food reactions that are not gluten. Items as diverse as Egg, coffee, cow milk may form IgA antibodies that may need to be eliminated from a diet for improvement to occur. A variety of labs like Cyrex (Phoenix) do these

Last updated Sep 17, 2019